Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Manny my neighbor update

Ok... Manny update...

I spent 3 hours on the phone today hunting him down from the January 30th ambulance ride...

Oh boy what a day...

Remember they said he was at a certain hospital with the initials AC...


well after phone calls to all the local hospitals with the AC initials,

I called our local hospital back... and then they said "I'm sorry that meant he went to an acute care hospital in the area" "Ok which hospitals would be acute care" so they told me, then they told me he might be in a nursing home... and gave me the local nursing homes to call...

By now he was no longer my neighbor... he was my Uncle... What do they know right? Except I felt like a crappy niece, not knowing when my Uncle was born...


"Gosh... I dont know, I just know he is 83... Do you know your Uncle's birthdays?" and they would laugh.,., "No I guess I dont" they would say...

But... he was no where to be found...

So I called up the local hospital again... They were so nice... I swear... Country Living is the only way to go... Nice... helpful... even gave me his birthday...


So I tried calling more Nursing homes...

I was hopeful thinking he was in one of them...

I found out... the ambulance was called because he didn't know where he was, he was disorientated...
Thank God... I thought to myself... he didn't fall... he wasn't sick sick... yanno...
he is probably in a Nursing home and they can't send him home because he is confused...

Poor Manny... I was ready to jet out the door when I found him in a Nursing home...

I called and called...

Nothing...


He had simply disappeared after leaving our local hospital...

So I called them back again...

"I don't mean to keep bothering you but how is it possible he is no where to be found? I have called EVERY WHERE? How can you NOT know where the ambulance took him after you discharged him? I don't understand?"

So they gave me the number to a patient advocate lady... Who was so wonderful...

She said "Let me do some research on where he was taken... Your right... it should be in the file... give me your number and I will call you back"

FINALLY Right?

She calls me back...

"He was taken to Loma Linda VA Hospital... and that is where the trail ends..."

All the VA will say is "He is NOT a patient in the Hospital and he is NOT in a VA Nursing Home... and that is ALL I can tell you... I am NOT allowed to say if he has passed away!"

So I said "Ok, however if he WAS in theVA Hospital or in a VA Nursing Home after being brought there... you would tell me where I could visit him?"

"Yes I would"


"Ok"

"However telling you anything other than that is against the law, and I could lose my job"

"How about coughing... could ya cough if I should just stop looking for him?"

"No, I would lose my job"

So... I believe Manny is dead... don't you?


and I also want to say...

I don't understand who is taking advantage of VETS in a VA Hospital to where you can't find out if your beloved neighbor is dead...

I hope they go to HeLL...

and if by some miracle... Manny shows up at my gate sometime soon...

I'm gonna kill him...

and that is all I have to say about that

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Who knows. He could have had relatives that picked him up and he is staying with them. Sometime someone has to enter the house next to you and when they do you will have your answers.

Anonymous said...

Oh, by the way, you are a bad niece not knowing anything about him LOL.

Chrissie a.k.a. HoneyB said...

Phil had my thoughts WATCH THE HOUSE some movement has to happen over there sooner or later.. whether some family came to get him or whether he died I mean it will be sold I'm sure.
Hope he didn't die.
Take care, Chrissie

Jeanne said...

This is the CRAZIEST thing I have ever heard in my whole life. And I KNOW that you have followed alot of clues and you don't want to bother the police, but I REALLY think you should call your local police dept and tell them the story because I THINK the VA hospital can give the POLICE info that they can't give you. If there's a missing person report or something filed, I think the hospital might be obligated to tell the police where the person is...or if he has died. Unfortunately, you are just a lay person...his "niece"....police are, well, POLICE! (lol) I would call the NON emergency police number and explain your situation to whomever answers the phone and see what they suggest.

((hugs))
Jeanne

Pamela said...

Tell the police to do a check on a house that an elderly man lives in. They'll come over and check on him. Good luck...I know you really care for him.
xoxox

Pamela said...

I meant to add the previous comment to your previous post. Glad you found him! Scary!
xoxox

Missie said...

Not knowing what happend is the worst. Maybe you should adopt him as your uncle who hasn't kept in touch with you in the past few weeks.....

Anonymous said...

I'd call the police. I honestly cannot think of another way of handling it. Sorry, I didn't open my emails for a few days so I didn't know you were emailing about this.....but I am afraid I would have been at a loss anyway.
~Mary

LIZ said...

I hope you find out something soon, that has to be frustrating that no one is willing to help you.

Take care....

Emma Joanne said...

That is the military for you ... it is one of the reasons I got out ... they treat families an members like crap ... love ya

~~Emma~~